4 Blacksmiths Row, Main Street, Mudford, Yeovil BA21 5TR
Tel: 01935 850807
and numerate science and business support professional with strong IT, database and computer
- Analytical thinking & computer programming
- Data extraction from databases using advanced SQL programming (T-SQL), including stored functions and procedures.
- Experienced Visual Basic programmer.
- Advanced Excel user (including Excel VBA).
- Working knowledge of Linux(Fedora/RHEL) and Linux system administration.
- Experienced user of financial and management software tools including SAP, Microsoft Project with Enterprise Project Management, Siebel, SAGE.
- Bookkeeping, Accounts, Tax & Payroll (ICB licensed practitioner with diplomas in general bookkeeping, tax and payroll).
- Experienced Microsoft Office user including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Access (incl Access VBA), Project (including Project Server)
- Investigating and resolving issues with data and software tools.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Coded an Access database based application for storing, retrieving and processing data essential for managing over
£3 million payments to commercial bus companies annually.
- Mapped a large commercial SQL server database then created a VBA/T-SQL based management information application which produces customised real time information from the database and automatically generates standard monthly reports, reducing production time to less than one percent of that required by previous manual methods. Also created an extensive library of T-SQL code run by this application, including over 350 SQL reports, stored procedures and stored functions, some scripted to run on automatic schedules.
- Designed and coded a VBA-Excel library loans management system.
- Successfully managed a £1M p.a. government-funded research project to time, cost and quality requirements.
- Former site expert and mentor for a new corporate financial and project planning Enterprise Project Management system.
- Created Excel financial analysis and resourcing tools which were subsequently used daily for providing information to management.
Somerset County Council (from Sep 2012) : Systems Administrator & Ticketing Officer (since June 2014)
- Daily administration of SQL Server based application for scheduling and invoicing individual transport for NHS and social care clients,including the design and implementation of a secure user access scheme.
- Greatly improved the efficiency and thoroughness of many aspects of office work by writing new VBA programs and scheduled VBScript/Powershell scripts to automate data extraction and reporting processes or other office activities carried out on regular schedules.
- Have written over 350 new and often complex T-SQL reports and stored procedures to provide management information and creating a VBA based system to extract and deliver required data.
- Maintenance of data integrity in SQL Server database containing details of millions of travel bookings by designing dedicated SQL system tidy reports and automated data correction utilities.
- Development and maintenance of several MS Access databases including some with VBA coding e.g. to automatically email schedules to customers or provide easily accessible information to staff via GUI interfaces.
- Writing scripts to automatically run and email SQL reports
- Development of VBA utilities to manage a cloud application via HTML
- Providing advice or recommendations on improvements in use of IT.
- Analysis of information extracted from an Oracle based system.
- Writing user guides for IT systems
- Creating new bus passes using own VBA macros and answering telephone queries from customers.
IT & Administration (Aug 2012 to May 2014)
- User Acceptance Testing of applications for new rollout of Citrix based software and Windows 7 computers to Council staff.
- General administrative work associated with the testing.
- Answering IT queries & diagnosing faults with applications and databases.
- Finding and documenting installation methods for applications on the new Windows 7 operating system. Writing programs which automatically searched and retrieved information from hundreds of spreadsheets generated by the project.
Four Elms Bookkeeping (from Dec 2011): Self-employed owner
This business, licensed and regulated by the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers, offers general accounting, payroll and tax services to small businesses. This role has also included development of in-house accounting and bookkeeping software.
QinetiQ plc (1995 - Nov 2010)
Business Support, Rotary Wing (2007 - Nov 2010), Boscombe Down, Salisbury
- Input and analysis of revenue and expenditure data for up to 100 projects.
- Cost and revenue forecasting for projects, customer invoicing.
- Monitoring and chasing debtors (credit control).
- Providing helpdesk-style support to staff using corporate software.
- Writing user guides to corporate software.
- Investigating suspect data on project profit and loss forecasts and identifying human or system errors.
- Input and analysis of projected future customer orders (Siebel).
- Writing and implementing procedures to safeguard sensitive documents.
- Created Excel financial analysis utilities which were used to provide regular revenue and cost reports to managements.
- Chased and obtained payment of large value invoices overdue for payment.
- Identified, investigated and corrected hundreds of suspect figures in financial reports.
- Helped pilot new cost forecasting software (EPM) then became the administrator and acknowledged site expert when it was introduced.
- Successfully resolved problems experienced by staff using new software
Business Support, QinetiQ Underwater Division (2003 - 2007), Winfrith, Dorchester
- Collation and analysis of cost and revenue data relating to existing and future projects.
- Assisting project managers with cost forecasting and bid preparation.
- Purchasing including credit card purchases and reconciling purchases to project, overhead & VAT accounts.
- Recording minutes of management reviews of projects.
- Advising on compliance with corporate procedures (ISO 9001).
- Regular reviews of financial forecasts for approx. fifty customer-funded projects led to successful challenges of key forecasts.
- Successfully resolved numerous financial queries from managers and staff.
- Produced regular profit centre sales forecasts.
- Successful administration of purchasing operations for a profit centre.
Senior Scientist, QinetiQ Underwater Division (1995 -2003), Winfrith, Dorchester
- Managing a £1M research project to cost, time and quality.
- Planning and leading experimental research projects at distant locations.
- Data analysis of experimental data.
- Writing and testing software to process and analyse experimental data.
- Creating software to generate predictions of the behaviour of underwater sound
- Writing customer reports summarising the results of the research project.
- Successfully led experimental trials in underwater acoustics and target echo strength of underwater platforms at an acoustic ranging facility.
- Successfully planned programmes of research and trials work to meet the requirements of cost, time, quality and health and safety.
- Developed computer-based models of acoustic behaviour of underwater platforms.
- Reconciled experimental data with own computer-generated theoretical predictions.
- Successfully managed the logistics and finances for a £1M government-funded research project in underwater acoustics completing the required research within the specified budget and timescales.
- Author of customer reports detailing experimental results and recommendations.
- Ph.D. University of London, diamond physics & X-ray analysis.
- B.Sc. (First Class Hons.) University of Leeds, Physics.
- 4 A Levels and 10 O Levels.
- Vocational qualifications in Administration, Information Science, Bookkeeping, Payroll & Tax